6/09/2005

Octopus : 2b

#2b. What change in the landscape, particularly Sacramento's, have you seen that you've made?

I'm just one of many people who play a role in the Sacramento "literary" landscape. It is a vibrant scene, swollen with reading venues and ongoing readings. It has a rich history, which precedes my involvement. And it will continue to exist when I leave it. I've done little to change it, but I am proud of the contributions I've made.

I served on the Board of the Sacramento Poetry Center (SPC) until recently. I've helped get a new arts space underway --HQ: Headquarters for the Arts -- a collaborative project involving groups doing visual art, poetry, film and theatre. My wife and I have made our little used bookstore a place where local poets can sell their chapbooks. And for three years now we've hosted the Poems-For-All Second Saturday Series of readings.

And given that this is homebase for Poems-For-All, it's no surprise that a large number of Sacramento poets are represented in the Series. They're a great way to make introductions.


- - -
The question was posed during an interview for Octopus #4 .