6/01/2005

Octopus : 1b

#1b. What specific models, if any, did you have for Poems-for-All?

I didn't seek out other efforts at miniature, if that's what you mean. I could just see, in my head, these horded little scraps of stiff business-card-sized-cardstock folded to make covers. I was delighted when I printed out the first inside pages (guts) and realized that you could read text at this size.

Since the Series has begun, a number of other miniature projects have been revealed to me. Many of them began before Poems-For-All and I just hadn't seen them until someone sent me or presented me with examples.

There is an excellent miniature series published by Sacramento poet Joyce Odam (PFAs #444,445,446) that pre-dates my little books by several years. They're called Brevities. I had heard of them but hadn't actually seen them until I met Joyce last year when she came to the bookstore for a poetry reading. A little larger than PFAs, they have these wonderful front free end papers made of different styles of textured paper.

Another miniature imprint from Sacramento was the Haiku Journal Blue Fur put out by Starr Vaughn (Her haiku will be published soon in the PFA series). Larger than even Joyce's Brevities, they were still small, with handmade covers; a size that teased the notion of miniature.

- - -
The question was posed during an interview for Octopus #4 .